Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I will be unemployed forever

OMG friends. So I went to an open call for servers today at Casey Moran's across the street from Wrigley Field.  They put a craigslist ad up that they're hiring for cubs season, so I thought I'd stop by with my resume, and swing by a couple other Wrigleyville bars while I was up there.

I had some errands to do around Clark and Belmont, and then I thought I would walk up to Casey Moran's.  The call started at 5pm and at 4:45 I started walking up from Belmont. Right then the sun set, suddenly, the temperature dropped like 10 degrees and it snowing that crappy horizontal snow.   Of course since I was job hunting and wearing a cute outfit I was wearing my cute italian-made banana republic not-meant-for-chicago-winter coat and not my bring-it-on-mother-nature heavy-duty puffy, shin-length Lands End coat.  Flimsy Anne Klien leather boots, not Uggs.  I finally walk past Wrigley and see the bar...with two giant OHIO STATE flags flying in front of it.

I believe I've previously claimed that I would never, ever, even in the off season, even if it was free and came with free caviar, sit down for a DRINK at an Ohio State bar.  I will honestly walk to the opposite side of the street even if I have to walk PAST an Ohio State bar.  I was thisclose to turning around but I couldn't feel my toes at this point so ok, I'll fill out an app, give them my resume that says "University of Michigan, Ann Arbor" on it in two different places and go.

It is 4:59.  The open call is from 5pm-7pm. There is a line of 5 people to get in the door and pick up applications.  Every single table and bar stool is occupied with people filling out applications and the line to turn in the applications, meet the manager and get your picture taken literally wraps around the entire restaurant.  There were easily over 150 people there.  At 4:59.  Cool.  Blah.

At least after the HOUR spent there I sucked it up and went to the other bar hiring down the street.  Of course I'm sure EVERYONE ELSE did too.

I'm sure this is in no way a unique story.  I've heard that there's some kind of economic crisis going on or something.

Blah. Blah. Blah.  Ok I'm almost halfway done with this glass of wine and the letters on the screen are starting to spin a little (yeah, I don't really drink much any more).  Time to make some dinner, put on my snuggie and watch idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment