Monday, January 17, 2011

A Confession and a Plea!

Ok guys, I will now confess to you one of my deepest, darkest secrets:  I was always a horrible student.

I was able to keep this secret for so long because I managed to get pretty close to straight A's in high school and A's with a few B's in college but this really had nothing to do with being a good student.  My M.O. was to do the LEAST amount of work/studying as humanly possible, take every academic shortcut along the way, and hope my quick wit and extraordinary b.s. skills could fill in the rest.  I almost never studied for exams, I never underlined or highlighted a single text book and I mastered the skill of writing English papers on books I had never cracked open (Just to be clear, I also never plagiarized or "cheated" in the academic-code-of-conduct sense of the word, it was b.s. but it was always MY b.s.) I think I had to learn these horrible study habits due to the fact that I've always been a terribly slow reader, possibly had undiagnosed A.D.D. and, ironically am a total, anal-retentive perfectionist when it comes to things I really care about.  These three things made actually putting a lot of work into school nearly impossible, so I just didn't.

Whew! That feels so good to finally get off my chest after all these years.  Ok, but now we get to the real problem.  

I am now studying for my NASM Personal Trainer Certification Exam.  Not only do I have to pass the exam in a couple months, but I also really would like to retain this material long-term so that I can be a successful trainer.  The material is definitely not brain surgery, a lot of it is common sense but it does require a whole lot of memorization of anatomy and movement science terms as well as mathematic formulas for program design.  I have a big ole' text book and work book, as well as some pretty great online resources (computer flash cards, DVD presentations, practice quizzes and exams) but what I don't have is any method on how to learn this stuff.

I'm on chapter 6 of 18 right now.  So far I've been reading each chapter, outlining the information in a notebook in my own words as I read along, then watching the DVD presentation and doing the workbook assignments at the end of every chapter.  I thought I was studying really well but then I started practicing with the computer flash cards that cover chapters 1-6 and kinda freaked out because I feel like I didn't get anything right and haven't retained anything.

So all my friends out there with your advanced degrees and your academic prowess, HELP ME! How do I get this stuff in my brain and keep it there long-term? Any advice is much appreciated.  Thankssomuchoknowbacktostudying.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I too am a slow reader and secondly, I had to study in order to get my A's. The hardest thing for me, rote memory, I would think should be much easier for you. You have memorized Shakespeare for heaven sake! Think of all the performances you have been involved in since you were but a very young child, and not only have you been always prepared with all your lines but, as I recall, you have known everybody elses lines in every performance! You also must be much more clever than I. You were able to acquire your A's with BS? Maybe, but I also happen to know how knowledgable you are. Do not sell yourself short.
    So, a technique that sometimes helps with the rote memorization: try visualizing related items. As an example: I see a target with a pencil piercing a liver onto the target. It helps me to remember that target cells (red blood cells) are seen in liver disease and lead poisoning (lead for the pencil).
    Something else that helped me: after you have completed studying/reading a chapter or part of a chapter verbalize everything you can remember learning. Say it out loud if it helps. Do not proceed to the next part of the chapter or the next chapter until you can do so and understand it. You may need to repeat the chapter or review certain parts before proceeding.
    As for remembering everything. Well, that is a challenge. You have "to use it or loose it". I wouldn't worry too much about that. That is what reference material is for. As long as you have some basic understanding and are honest with yourself you will be able to research anything you cannot remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been tremendously successful all your life, from very early age, memorizing enormous amounts of material. Unfortunately, it was nothing as dry as formulas and anatomical names. It was, as you know, songs, scripts, whole movies. One of the techniques you learned to memorize scripts was to listen to it on headphones. Another clue to how you learn is in fact music. Rhythmic phrases might help. Create ditties and record them, then listen. Memorizing has never been a problem when you were motivated. You're motivated by wanting to know the material so you're a top notch practicioner. Use your other skills to help you out of whatever it is you think "studying" means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. Verbalize with song! Just create a rhythm as you go and sing everything you just read. I don't know about recording, though. You might waste time recording and become distracted. Be spontaneous and stick to the task at hand.

    ReplyDelete